Moving can be such a stressful time. There are so many things to take care of when planning a big move. We just moved into a new home, and I was amazed at how many things we either forgot to do or put off until the last minute. Here is a condensed list of things to remember to do for your move!
Plan for the big day
- Rent a U-Haul truck, or make plans to use friends’ trucks. Make sure to reserve the trucks ahead of time to make sure you will be set for the big day.
- Have plenty of boxes, stuffing, and packing tape ahead of time to make for easier packing.
- Consider renting or buying accessories for moving such as forearm straps, etc.
- Ask friends ahead of time if they can help you or consider paying movers to help you out. We typically have friends help us move and then pay them with really good food, beer, and of course, offer to help them in the future!
- This gets to be no fun. Because you don’t just have to change your address once at the post office, but pretty much everywhere you have a file. Update your address with your credit card companies, banks, student loan companies… just to name a few. Also remember to head to the Division of Motor Vehicle to change your address on your drivers license, too! (Some states you can do it online, yay).
- We moved far enough away that I will need to change my dentist, family practice, and gym. Part of the “fun” is being a new customer again and picking places that suit my families’ needs. Shop around for a great rec center, park, and grocery store.
- I am also looking forward to joining a MOPS group in my neighborhood and also joining a local bible study. I will be looking into fun ways to connect with people in my neighborhood.
- It is important to remember to transfer services like trash, sewage, gas, electric companies, and internet/ cable. Often times doing it ahead of time is the best strategy to avoid delays.
- Packing a bag of clean clothes, toiletries, and essentials is a great idea for the week of the move.
- Keep a box nearby of cleaning supplies, paper towels, toilet paper, rags, and hand wash. Often times these things get packed during a move, which can be so frustrating!
- Celebrate your big move by remembering to take pictures of your old and new house. Plan a housewarming party for loved ones. Send cards or a fun email announcing your new address.