My epic blogging fail- cake pop disaster!

My terrible little creations that had me bawling my eyes out.

I am about to recount my baking disaster while preparing a post. Please don’t judge my baking skills.

About a week ago I woke up excited. I was about to prepare a sponsored post, and one of my favorite ones by far. I had my idea in mind, and I rushed to the grocery store with big aspirations and dreams. I was going to make cake pops that looked like Olaf the Snowman from FROZEN the Disney movie.

After spending a load on baking supplies, I got home to start my baking adventure. I even wore an apron for the first time. (I own three, and decided it was about time to put one to use). I had my camera ready to go. There I was, taking step by step pictures of my cake pop creations. They looked and tasted good so far. My husband was in and out of the kitchen, trying to stay out of my way. He would ask if I need help every so often, and I would defensively say, “NO!”.

As if someone might steal this image.

I was feeling pretty confident. I had all my pretty cake pops sticking upright in styrofoam on my kitchen counter. They tasted great and looked pretty good. Then the moment came. Time to make them look like Olaf. Excited, I went to work. My first one looked like a snowman serial killer. I shrugged it off, made some changes, and made the second. He looked even worse, like Burt from Sesame Street put into snowman form, with huge eyebrows and a funky nose. I started freaking out. That is when I ran downstairs to ask my husband for help like a dog with my tail tucked between my legs. I showed him my monsters, and he couldn’t help but laugh and explain that they were the ugliest snowmen he had ever seen!
I stood there, defeated. He looked at me and a wave of compassion came over him as he explained the head size isn’t right. There was nothing I could do to salvage my cake pops. I ran upstairs and just stood in the kitchen, looking at the snowmen I had made so far. Then it happened. I broke. I just totally broke down in tears, sobbing, over my disgusting and ugly-serial-killer snowmen. I had such high hopes to make these adorable Olaf’s. Instead I made the ugliest cake pops ever!

My husband tried to console me. He told me they tasted great! He then asked me a question- “Have you ever made cake pops before?”. “No”, I answered. “Well then why did you expect to master such a hard project the first time?”.
Gawsh. I hate when he is right. What the heck was I thinking? I am not a cake baketress! Here I was attempting a rather advanced project the first time.
I think all of us bloggers put too much pressure on ourselves to make things beautiful. We are expected to showcase the beautiful in life. Lovely photos of perfectly looking food, shots of us with our children, and clothing put together perfectly. Our ugly mess-ups hardly get the glory.
Well, I decided to tell you all today I fail all the time. I make ugly dinners and burn chicken more than I would like to admit. I have worn my shirst inside out in public.
So, today I would like to celebrate our mistakes and all those “cry in the kitchen over a burnt cake” moments. We all experience them, and they are worth a great laugh.
You know what? After I cried over my disaster for a while on the couch, I started laughing. Then I laughed hystarically. Did I really just sob over ugly serial killer snowmen? You bet. I am such a weirdo. My husband and I got a good kick out of it, then marched over to the kitchen and ate the crap out of those ugly cake pops. I stuffed a whole one in my mouth, and with mascara running down my face, at that son of a snowman like nobodies business.
Hey you. Today laugh at your mistakes. Don’t be a stress ball like me. Look at your tiny mistake for what it is, laugh, eat it if you can, and move on. Oh, and try and post a picture of it on your blog too so I feel better about myself!

• Reply Chelsee

Omgsh! I think you did amazing for your first time trying this. I personally love imperfections and I think experiences like this make great stories to tell. I am sure that as you continue to try your hand at this that it will only get better. Trust me as someone who has had horrible luck in the kitchen, it all gets easier with time:)

January 17, 2014 at 4:29 pm
  • Reply Robyn Black

thank you for the laugh today! i feel like this is something i would do! & after i got done crying, i would completely start laughing & eat the crap out of those cake pops!!!! 🙂
    thank you for reminding me it’s okay to mess up!

January 17, 2014 at 4:51 pm
  • Reply Amberly

Haha, I think they’re kind of cute! They might not be perfect, but I still love them! 🙂

January 17, 2014 at 4:59 pm
  • Reply Hayley

Hahaha awww. Honestly, the ones with the big teeth actually look like Olaf! It’s all about learning! I’m glad you got back up and laughed at yourself!

January 17, 2014 at 5:39 pm
  • Reply gettinfitfab

OH girlie! cake pops are super hard to make! I bake all the time and I won’t even try cake pops! My patience is like negative zero for anything above my baking level♥ Seriously, I love that you showed this, cause maybe I do want to make cake pops for the first time. You’ll be great, trial and error and I am glad that those suckers tasted yummy! 🙂

January 17, 2014 at 5:51 pm
  • Reply Mercedes Anderson

I think they are adorable!! I immediately thought of Olaf even before I read that’s what they were supposed to be

January 17, 2014 at 6:44 pm
  • Reply Neatly-Packaged

Aww.. I think they are adorable too! As long as they taste good, what more can you ask for!? 🙂 Keep up the good spirits!!

January 17, 2014 at 8:55 pm
  • Reply Lisa C

They don’t look as bad as you think! The first time I made cake balls, they were barely a ball shape.

January 18, 2014 at 2:22 am
  • Reply Dance With A Dolly

Hahaha…Loved this post! New fan here! And they look cute in a demented sort of way. hahaha..Just kidding!

January 18, 2014 at 2:48 am
  • Reply Gail

Cake pops are the hardest thing ever. I cannot master them to save my life so I just make balls and even those are bad.

January 18, 2014 at 12:19 pm
  • Reply Tiffany Cutcliff

Hi Chelsea! I should have known! Oh well:). Thanks for the comment girl!

January 18, 2014 at 1:58 pm
  • Reply Tiffany Cutcliff

Hi Friend! Oh thank you. My husband even said after that I should blog about the whole disaster. I hope it will get better. We have been eating them the past week so that is a good thing!

January 18, 2014 at 1:59 pm
  • Reply Tiffany Cutcliff

Oh I am so glad you got a laugh out of it! Thank you for the comment Robyn. Glad I am not the only one who gets upset over kitchen mistakes.

January 18, 2014 at 2:00 pm
  • Reply Tiffany Cutcliff

Thanks Amberly! Ha:). Hope you are well!

January 18, 2014 at 2:00 pm
  • Reply Tiffany Cutcliff

It IS all about learning and hey- now I know how to make cake pops! How are you? LOVED your post the other day on your blog!

January 18, 2014 at 2:00 pm
  • Reply Tiffany Cutcliff

This made me feel so much better to read! They make it look so easy on blogs and Pinterest. My bad for sure! They did taste good, at least:). Thanks for the comment!

January 18, 2014 at 2:01 pm
  • Reply Tiffany Cutcliff

Really!? That is good to know! Yay haha! 🙂 Hope you have a great day Mercedes!

January 18, 2014 at 2:02 pm
  • Reply Tiffany Cutcliff

Thanks Girl! Hope all is well! 🙂

January 18, 2014 at 2:02 pm
  • Reply Tiffany Cutcliff

They are so hard. I had pieces of cake falling into the melted chocolate. It was a mess! Thanks for your comment Gail!

January 18, 2014 at 2:03 pm
  • Reply Tiffany Cutcliff

Thanks Girl! So glad to have you around! They are cute in a demented way for sure lol!

January 18, 2014 at 2:04 pm
  • Reply Tiffany Cutcliff

Ha! What shape were they? That makes me feel a little better! Did they taste ok?

January 18, 2014 at 2:04 pm
  • Reply Gail

I find the key is to freeze for several hours or overnight, and make sure your chocolate is hot but not too hot.

January 18, 2014 at 4:17 pm
  • Reply Whitney Morris

Aw. I think your cake pops are kind of adorable in a goofy way. Totally not what you were after though! I appreciate the honesty of the post. I recently posted a DIY fail on instagram too…if only mine wasn’t a personal item with memories that I was trying to make into a keepsake! Still working on salvaging my mess!

January 18, 2014 at 5:15 pm
  • Reply gettinfitfab

I am glad I could make you feel better! ♥ Everything is easy when you don’t see the 5 other trial and errors they had before showing it ;), that’s my thinking anyways. As long as they tasted good that’s what matters! I would love to make them, cause I have an obsession with Olaf! ♥

January 18, 2014 at 8:10 pm
  • Reply Elizabeth Lynn

I think your Olaf’s are kind of adorable! I’ve cried over many a baking fail (like plain round Christmas cookies instead of the Christmas shapes I was used to). Like you said, it’s all about laughing and learning!

January 19, 2014 at 2:55 am
  • Reply Angie Agerter

They are actually cute!! (I had a break down this week too, must be in the air) Yes they are not perfect, but heck they are truly still pretty cute little things!

January 19, 2014 at 8:08 am
  • Reply Susannah

Oh goodness, you’re right, those don’t look great at all. BUT your hubby’s also right, there’s no reason at all they should have looked good this first time you made them. It was a great first try!!! 🙂

January 20, 2014 at 10:42 pm
  • Reply Holly Higgins

I think they look pretty good! At least your cake balls stayed on the stick…mine always fall right through it!

January 21, 2014 at 4:14 am
  • Reply PInParent

I like them. I think they are goofy cute. I have had worse looking creations that I have considered successes. Lol!

January 22, 2014 at 1:25 am
  • Reply Emma Craig

I love this post! So many of the crafts and projects I try end up to be “fails”. I love hearing about things that don’t come out right, because that’s more real than the post about “look how perfect I did this”. P.S. Your husband sounds like a great guy. Keep him around! 🙂

January 22, 2014 at 11:49 am