25 Days of Saving Money

IMG_3424

I am going to get vulnerable with you all. I have a REALLY, really hard time saving money. I am by no means an over-spender, and am happy to buy things on clearance or at thrift stores.

Maybe too happy.

The time has come that what I really need to do is save some money, and fast. I have goals I hope to save for this year: a vacation with my daughter, lots of dental work, and music classes for my daughter. Not cheap.

The only way I can save up for these goals is by cutting out spending.

The problem is: I am unfortunately addicted to things that are not necessities.

Starbucks, thrift shopping, seeing friends over a nice appetizer…

I am putting myself on a 25 day spending freeze. I have tried doing this before. And I failed. Miserably.

This time I feel more motivated. I WANT to do this. I will be cutting out all non-essential spending. Food and gas is included, and medical needs. But that is it.

For the month, I will be cutting out the following:

-eating out

-Starbucks (and all coffee in general). 🙁

-Alcohol

-Clothes/ toiletries

-Hobbies

-Furniture

-Toys

-Entertainment

I do have on event planned (a fun night out with a friend), which I am budgeting $20. I plan to eat at home and take my lunches to work.

I am excited to see how much I can save this month.

No more dropping in at Target, Goodwill, or any other stores. My goal is to find other ways to spend time- working out, playing with my daughter, or calling a friend.

And I am banning myself from Ebay.

Here goes!

I, Tiffany, commit to 25 days of non-essential spending. I will eat at home, ban Starbucks, and only buy essentials that I NEED (not want).

Have you done this before? I am excited but really nervous.

I am following this plan from Living Well Spending Less.

See you in a few days. Join me?

Comments

1. Christine Rosko says

I’ve cut eating out with an exception maybe once a month and it’s saved me a ton of money. I also make most of my coffee. I’ll buy k-cups when they’re on sale and stock up. The last time I bought some was back in November for like $60 and I still have four boxes to go through. That’s only like 12 Starbucks drinks. My downfall is events. having to go to those in the city cost me cab money and that is so easy to blow. Good luck! You can do it 🙂

i am the same way! i love getting coffee, going out to lunch, and thrifting! if it’s on clearance it doesn’t count as spending right?! haha! but it’s bad… my husband & i are both like this and it makes budgeting difficult b/c we don’t stick to it. i need to try a 25 day spending freeze too!

You’ve got this gurlie! It’ll be tough, but you can do it! I’ve found that the easiest way to save money is by not going out to eat/drink. I bring my lunch to work 99% of the time, and my husband and I try to avoid going out to eat on a regular basis unless we’re hitting up a happy hour with 1/2 priced apps and cheap drinks 🙂
    Where are you hoping to go on vacation?

4. Robin Rue says

My only vice in life is my Dunkin Donuts addiction. I don’t think I could give that up LOL. I wish you the best of luck, though!

I have done this out of necessity before. We had no money- thankfully my stockpile and taking Financial Peace University helped quite a bit. Even though I don’t “need” to not spend now I have become a minimalist because of my no spend experience.

Ooooo, good luck! I am interested to see how this goes! I have thought about freezing myself before, but have never done it. Maybe this will be my motivation to do it!

7. Cindy says

I am excited to follow your 25 days. This sounds like something I need to do as well! Then I can see what’s really important!

• Tiffany Cutcliff says

I love this idea. I have been pouring two shots over ice and cream at home, but the espresso doesn’t always taste right. I take it instant coffee is less bitter right? Do you have a brand you recommend? I love that I can take it to go- too!

• Tiffany Cutcliff says

Thanks Andrew! Yes, let’s set something up! Email me if possible- my contact info is on my page- or visit my sponsor page! 🙂

8. Donna L Ward says

My husband calls is a ‘spending moratorium’ – and my son has been doing just what you’re doing – I can hardly wait to hear your results and the feelings you go thru – Big hugs and it was a fun post!

9. ashleigh walls says

Can’t wait to see your results with this! I know I have a small coffee habit that would probably save me money.

10. Beth says

Best of luck! I would like to try something similar, but with my job, it’s hard to go without spending. If I were to do it, I wouldn’t include eating out though. For us, eating out is cheaper than buying everything we’d need to cook at home.

11. Kori says

I wish you the best of luck with this! I try to watch my spending but also try not to put myself in a situation where I know I’ll go overboard.

Good for you! I’m doing my best to keep from spending too much because we’re hoping to buy a house soon and I want the money there so I can decorate! I’m excited to hear how you did when the spending freeze is up! 🙂

13. mail4rosey says

Dental work. Ugh. I’m going to have to go in and get some done too and it always ranks up there in the thousands. I dread the dentist’s office.

14. CourtneyLynne Storms says

Good luck with this challenge!! I had a friend that did this recently and omg! Y’all are way stronger than me 😉

Good luck on the saving…I know it is very hard to resist clearance and super sales. Lately, I’ve been able to avoid a bunch of temptations. I would have to start with banning no Amazon, eBay or Daily Deal sites if I went through with something like that. Amazon is so hard to resist.

16. Lynn Dee says

25 days of no spending? I have done it before. Not again in the coming days though because we have the husband’s birthday to celebrate and we’re going out to eat. 🙂

17. Christine Hawkins says

I have been practicing living a simple life since last july. It has changed my life so much in so many ways. I will never go back. It is so funny how I literally changed myself into knowing what I really need in my life. In fact, one of the best things are that you save so much money. Your relationship gets better and you have time. Because of living more simple, I am able to live my life to the fullest and make my dreams come to reality. It ay seem a little unrealistic. I am currently starting to blog about it and eventually I would love to start a book on my journey. Thanks for sharing this post. This process is very hard, believe me. Don’t give up, it is all worth it in the end!

I have been thinking about doing something like this. I have cut down on my spending a lot over the past year, but giving up Dunkin would be tough. Right now I am doing a de-clutter challenge for 40 days, which is hard enough, so maybe I’ll tackle this money challenge after. 🙂

I’m in the same boat as you are! I want so desperately to save more money, but it’s hard. I’ve always been a penny pincher, but for some reason I haven’t been monitoring my spending as well as I should be lately.

One thing I do each week, a NO DRIVING DAY! I park the car and stay put. The gas alone I save helps and really, the more you begin to see your savings the easier it gets. You will be surprised on how little we can get along with. Good Luck!

21. April Lou says

Good luck to you. I have been on a spending binge this past month. I need to slow down. This is excellent motivation to kick start some savings! 🙂