How do you balance your work and life?

tips

As a mommy, wife, church member, sister, daughter, homemaker, nanny, and a blogger I sometimes struggle with balancing my life and my work. There are many balls I drop all the time. Sometimes, I choose to go and hang out with my daughter for an entire morning, knowing that my house is a complete and utter mess. Other times, I feel my daughter tugging at my pants, pleading with me to play with her as I am trying to unload the dishwasher. The cycle of guilt is endless… and so is trying to figure out how to maintain balance in my life.

Isn’t it amazing how difficult it is to keep priorities in order? When to rest, when to write, when to read, or when to exercise? I struggle to find time to keep my house clean, maintain friendships, write blog posts, give service at church, and discipline my daughter- let alone enjoy date nights with my husband or go to the gym.

As a full time homemaker and a part time nanny and blogger, it can be even tougher to maintain a good balance. I always feel pulled in many directions, feel guilt about certain things I am not getting done, or figuring out when to sit down and write. I usually try and write when my daughter is asleep, which means getting up at the crack of dawn or writing at the end of the night. Many times, I simply skip writing for a week or so as I just crave time with my family and friends, fully knowing my blog will suffer. And other times, I write while my daughter is sitting on my lap, because I have a deadline or tons of creative energy.

It is not easy balancing life and keeping our priorities straight. Here are three ways things I try to remember when my life feels crazy and unbalanced.

1. Grace

Having grace for myself and others allows me to not expect so much. When I operate out of grace, I understand that I am not perfect, nor are the ones that God has placed in my life. Much of my impatience or anger comes from unmet expectations- I hope to have my whole house clean in two hours but my daughter keeps interrupting me, or I desire to play with my kiddo but get interrupted by a phone call. Having an attitude of graciousness puts everyone at ease, especially myself.

2. Remember the big picture

When I really feel like my life is a mess and I need to prioritize my time, I try to step back and look at the big picture. What is most important to me in the long run? Making sure my kid is the best at sports, or teaching my daughter about the love of Christ? Do I wish to check off all my lists or have a healthy and thriving marriage? Often, when I take a step back and look ahead 10 years to what I hope my life looks like, it makes it easier to make day to day and minute to minute decisions on how to fill my time. It allows me to, perhaps, turn off my television or log off Facebook and read a bit with Lillian or do a task with my husband. I keep a running list of long-term goals and desires for my family, and try to look at it every so often when I feel overwhelmed.

3. Let go of being perfect

Before I had my daughter, I spent hours out of my week trying to keep fit and tan. I went and got my hair done and highlighted, waxed my eyebrows every two weeks, and went shopping pretty often. During this precious season of my life as a mother, I don’t have as much time to maintain my figure or buy cute clothes, but I do try to fit running and working out into my schedule. The point is, I may never again be in the “best shape in my life”, but that is totally fine- being a mother is so worth it! As I grow and my priorities shift, I have to let go of being “perfect” in many areas. Struggles I face daily are having a perfectly clean house, having thriving and awesome friendships, staying in shape, being “great” at hobbies or jobs I get, or being the best mom and wife I can be. I am not perfect and I know no one is. My ability to control everything often gets thwarted by more important life lessons.  I have been blessed with a beautiful family, a healthy body, and an able mind to find pleasure in hobbies and creativity. When I step back and marvel at what blessings I DO have, I feel so grateful.

Do you struggle to maintain work and life balance? Share with me how you encourage yourself day to day!

Comments

1. Stacie @ Divine Lifestyle says

I sometimes struggle with maintaining a balance between my work and my family. Whenever I feel overwhelmed, I take a step back and if I can’t remember the last time I sat down with the family, I know I’m working too hard.

2. robin Masshole mommy says

It is definitely not always easy to balance life, but I think somehow we just make it work. It is gonna happen whether we are ready or not, right?

3. Alli Smith says

Sometimes I complain that there’s not enough hours in the day to get it all done. Then I remind myself that it’s OK to stop and smell the roses. Housework will be there after I’ve taken some “me” time. 🙂

Grace is SO important, for both ourselves and for others. I work full-time, but from home, and I definitely work hard to strike a balance between it all.

5. Ann Bacciaglia says

These are great tips for balancing your work and home life. Once i realized that no one can do everything it was much easier for me.

6. Kathy says

Remembering the big picture is very important. I work from home, so I get to be with my girls all the time. It can be hard to balance everything out though.

YES! I couldn’t agree more, I always try to give myself grace but sometimes I give myself too much and I find myself falling behind on EVERYTHING! I love the last one too though, letting go of perfection… I needed to hear that one, I’m such a perfectionist and I find it hard to let go of certain things. Balance is SO hard… and to think I thought it was hard before kids haha

8. Nina Say says

I really needed to read these tips tonight. It has been an extraordinarily busy week and I have been questioning whether or not I can do it all.

I love love love this post. I sometimes am too hard on myself because I want to perfect ( yup, admittedly ) – at least for work but in other aspects of my life, I make room for mistakes. And true, disappointments come when you expect too much from situations and from other people. But I think it’s because we know that we’d exert a lot of effort from our end if situations were reversed so we’d want others to be the same.

10. michele d says

Balancing work, home and life is never easy. I just try my best to get what I can done and try not to stress about it.

11. Ashley says

Its not easy balancing them all for sure. I used to obsess about my house and if it wasn’t clean. Now, my mindset is…my house will be here long after my children are gone. So, I choose to spend time with them over cleaning my house, and making sure everything is in order.

12. chubskulit says

I definitely agree. I sometimes find myself in that situation. I don’t even get the chance to enjoy a date with my husband anymore.

13. Jeanine says

Great tips! Sometimes it’s super hard but I do what I can and save the rest for another day. Working from home while homeschooling 6 kids is tough!

14. Chrystal M. says

Balancing all the things in life can be hard. These are great tips. Its just important to always remember, we are only human and we all do the best we can!

15. Ashley says

I work from home and have one daughter at home, so I really struggle with balancing work and family. I stay home so that I can spend time with the kids, but I can’t stay home if we aren’t making more money, so it is a constant battle of the computer vs the kids. I usually end up just staying up really late at night to get everything done

16. Krsiten says

I work from home so I understand. I choose my own hours, so I just need to know when O shut the computer and play 🙂

17. Fi Ni Neachtain says

Oh letting go of being perfect is such an important point. I’m a WAHM and it’s so hard to find the balance a lot of the time.

Balancing is definitely tough! I’m a Mom with a 9-5 job, and I even have a blogging and design business on the side! Yes, I’m busy, but I thrive on this type of schedule. To meet the balance I just do the best I can and make sure I prioritize my family 🙂 Thanks for sharing!

Hi Tiffany, these pieces of wisdom are wonderful – and I know if I don’t keep myself aware – I get lost, and start feeling down – so important to stay in balance!

20. mail4rosey says

I agree with you, when we step back and look at the bigger picture, it’s much easier to count our blessings. It’s also much easier to relax (a little bit). 😉

21. Bonnie G says

This is such a great post and I’ve been stepping back and thinking more about all of this lately. I have 5 kiddos and blog and have a lot to do and it’s definitely hard to balance it all. Great tips by the way.

22. The Sequin Notebook says

Letting go of being perfect is such an important step in achieving balance…there is only so much time in the day, and as you said, it’s important to focus our limited time on the things that are truly important!

23. CourtneyLynne says

What a great post!!! It can get really tricky to balance both sometimes!!! Just a month ago I felt like I was drowning in work… Once I took a step back and reflected on the big picture it all didn’t seem that bad anymore

24. Gabriel Bregg says

Letting go of being perfect is the biggest one, I think. My wife is always too hard on herself when things aren’t perfect. She doesn’t expect it from the kids, but they see her being hard on herself and I worry they will think they should be on themselves as well.

25. Lynn Dee says

Nobody is perfect and for me, contentment is the key to happiness. If you are content, then everything else follows, I believe.

These are awesome tips and I could not agree more, I struggle with balancing and I am not married yet nor do I have kids so imagine when I actually do I so need to work on it now. Great post