One of our family favorite weeknight meals is sausage and peppers. I could eat it almost daily. Made with fresh bell peppers, onions, sausage, and pasta sauce, it is an easy and budget friendly meal. I love this meal because it is full of protein and veggies and takes less than 30 minutes to prepare. It is also a clean eating meal we often make if we need to avoid bread or carbs, but tonight we made sandwiches. We used Ragu Pasta Sauce for this recipe, and it came out delicious!
This month my husband and I are doing our best to eat at home, save some money, and meal plan. We are trying to save up for some pretty awesome things coming up- my sisters wedding (yay!), our anniversary weekend, and my daughters birthday. Meal planning is something that really helps us to save money and also eat really well in the comfort of our home.
Sausage, Peppers, and Onions has been a tradition in our home for a while. When my husband and I were in search for healthy weeknight meals, this one became a staple for our recipe collection. We’ve made it for lots of friends and family and usually get asked for the recipe. It is so easy!
We hope you enjoy this recipe from our family to yours!
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 12 oz sausage (I used chicken apple sausage, but sweet italian works great too!)
- 2 bell peppers, sliced
- 1 onion, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 15 ounces Ragu Chunky Tomato, Garlic, and Onion
- 4 to 6 French sandwich rolls
- Heat oil in a large skillet. Add sausages and brown, about 7 minutes on each side on medium-high heat.
- Drain sausages and set aside.
- Turn the pan to medium high heat and add the peppers and onions. Brown for about 5 minutes, then add the garlic and cook an additional 3-5 minutes or until browned and translucent.
- Add the Ragu and stir, scraping the entire pan to bring in the browned bits.
- Add the sausage back in and combine. Turn to low and simmer for about 5-10 minutes.
- Fill the french rolls with the mixture and enjoy as a sandwich, or serve in a bowl!