My favorite weeknight meal to cook is a one pan pasta. My daughter always eats pasta, it keeps great for leftovers, and it tastes so good! Tonight I decided to make something quick, easy, savory, and fresh. I decided to omit the traditional sausage and instead add in our fave- bacon. It was delicious! Here is my recipe for a one pan basil and bacon marinara pasta dish! This meal is ready in less than 15 minutes, uses healthy and fresh ingredients, and serves at least four! Also, super budget friendly and perfect for meal planning!
We had a busy day. The past week we did so much. Lil turned four and we hosted a super fun birthday party. It was awesome- almost 30 friends packed into our little house. We had face painting, balloon animals, pin the tail on the My Little Pony, and even a princess visitor- Rapunzel!
Other recent events: we tore down two old sheds and built one new shed. We filled an entire huge rented dumpster of stuff. We prepped our garden, planted our seeds, an mulched. It was a busy week… and on top of it all Lil was behind in her preschool lessons. We had a big day today of making up her lessons!
Anyways, tonight I was in charge of dinner. I ran to Sprouts to stock up on some veggies and groceries.
I decided to make this pasta because I already had some ingredients at home.
This recipe is super easy and takes less than 15 minutes to put on the dinner table. I love it because you literally cook everything in the same pan, except for the initial noodles. I paired the pasta with a kale and spinach salad tossed with Annie’s Natural Goddess Dressing, my all time favorite salad dressing. It is a great dinner because there are yummy vegetables, carbs, protein, and healthy fats. Paired with the salad, it was a yummy and fresh meal using simple and healthy ingredients.
Toddlers love pasta, and my kiddo loved this one because of the shell pasta and bacon bits. The bacon, basil, mushroom, onion, and marinara taste SO good together. I will be making this dish again.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 large mushrooms
- ½ onion
- 2 cups dry shell pasta
- 1 cup Muir Glen Tomato Basil Pasta Sauce
- Pinch of red pepper flakes
- Pinch salt
- Pinch fresh ground pepper
- Cook pasta by following directions on package, al dente.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in large skillet over medium heat. Add onions and brown until translucent. Add two strips of bacon and mushroom. Let the fat render off of the bacon on low heat and sautee the mushrooms- about 5 minutes.
- Add one cup of Pasta Sauce to bacon and mushroom mixture, stir to combine. Simmer for about 2-3 minutes.
- Add pasta to saute pan and combine well.
- Serve immediately.
- Serving suggestion: kale and spinach salad tossed in Annie's Goddess Dressing.