Moving to Colorado has been one of the best decisions my husband and I made a few years ago. It is possibly one of the most beautiful destinations in the world. With skiing, hiking, biking, water rafting, and endless running trails just an hour from Denver Metro, it is an incredible place to vacation, staycation, or make home.
One of our favorite “retreats” is escaping to the mountains in the spring. Why the spring? Well, the winter is obviously crowded with skiiers and snowboarders from all around the world. Breckenridge is one of the closest ski towns to our house, clocking in about one hour from our doorstep with no traffic. Breckenridge holds a special place in my heart, as it was the first ski town I had ever visited in my life. I love the yellow Starbucks house, the street shops lined with local artisans and boutiques, and the gorgeous views.
We recently had the opportunity to stay at Beaver Run Resort and Conference Center, and it was so much fun! This is our second time staying here as a family. I love it because it is a kid and dog friendly resort complete with a spa, arcade, hot tubs, an amazing indoor/ outdoor pool, and a shuttle that runs from town to the hotel.
There is so much to do. Our last visit was for a wedding, so we had tons of activities planned. We spent most of our free time relaxing, swimming, and shopping.
My daughter loved the pool at Beaver Run resort because it was warm! We could swim day and night, despite the snow. She loved to swim and then change and play in the arcade and grab a snack from the shop.
We enjoyed my sister’s wedding, which was just beautiful. We had tons of fun! It was simply gorgeous with snow and an amazing backdrop.
Enough of my rambling. Let me simply share some of my favorite things to do in the spring with your loved ones.
- Biking: Breckenridge has tons of awesome biking trails! Trails or paved paths, there are always great biking adventures available!
- Boating: You and your family can rent a canoe, kayak, or pontoon boat and enjoy the lovely views of Breckenridge.
- Swimming: My family loved to use the pool at Beaver Run Resort. It was open almost all day, warm, clean, and super fun. Swimming is the perfect way to let a busy toddler burn some steam and also make memories!
- Shopping: I love shopping, and I especially love shopping in new places. There are over 200 quaint local shops in Breckenridge full gifts and souvenirs. Along the way you will find cute coffee shops and places to grab cookies or crepes.
- Fishing: If you love to fish, Breckenridge has both fishing and fly-fishing complete with some of the most breathtaking views around!
- Hiking: We are a major hiking family, and love to hike Breck! Go here for a list of great hikes!
- Horseback Riding: Horseback riding is one of my favorite memories as a child. Breck offers safe horseback riding for the whole family. Go here for more info.
- Spa: The Spa at Beaver Run has packages for massage, body treatments, skincare, and more. Treat yourself to a hot stone massage or a fountain of youth facial.
- Yoga: Love yoga? Beaver Run hosts $10 drop in yoga classes. See their website for more details!
- Dining: Some of our personal local favorites include Downstairs at Eric’s, a local restaurant and bar known for great comfort food and lots of awesome beers on tap. We love their pizza and fried pickles! Also be sure to check out Blue River Bistro and Crepes a la Cart.
Have you ever been to Breckenridge, CO? If so, what do you love to do? Ski, snowshoe, hike? What is your favorite family “staycation” in your area?