Follow me:

My Birth Story

Well, I suppose this is a long time coming. I know so many people having babies this next month. It takes me back to that special time. I love hearing birth stories. Each story is so unique and beautiful. It is amazing how women are able to have babies. Every mom experiences the same sigh of relief the moment you hear your child’s first cry. Every step and labor pain toward that miraculous sound is filled with emotion. 
I remember when I made my “birth plan”. I wanted to have by baby natural. I read books, researched a ton online, and handed my midwives and nurses several copies of my plan. 
I am so glad I made a plan, but let me tell you: it did NOT go that way! That is OK. Going into labor is like going into war. You can have a plan, but if you need to be flexible and change your plan or strategy for the survival of the baby then DO it! (I hate using the war strategy, but it really does fit!). 
My due date passed, and I was still a swollen, big, huffing and puffing pregnant momma. I remember the day my water broke: I was standing in the kitchen and all of a sudden I thought I peed my pants. I mean, it felt like a huge gush of water! I cried out to Brian, laughing uncontrollably because I thought I peed everywhere and was SO embarrassed. He reassured me that it was not pee, it was water, and my water broke. 
We called the midwives, and they were super gracious. They told us to go eat dinner, and mosey on in once finished. They reminded us it would be our last night together solo as a married couple and to enjoy and take our time. Woah! That was a crazy realization! We went to our favorite Pho restaurant in the world, and I ate as much as I could, knowing that might be my last meal in a while. (It was.) After chowing down noodles, delicious broth, and melon shakes, we sauntered into the hospital. 
I had no labor pains yet. Yet, they admitted me, because I had tested positive for group strep B. I had to be hooked up to antibiotics right away. From here, everything went a little haywire. 
I was not dilating. It took almost 24 hours for me to dilate a few cm! The next morning, they gave me a few pills with hormones to induce me. Those puppies worked, a little, and I started feeling contractions. Brian and I walked around the hospital to get me moving. By about noon, no real progress was being made. Then they gave me heavy doses of pitocin. The labor pains really started coming on at that point. For two hours I was walking around the labor room like a nut, squatting here and there in serious pain. Woah- it was like nothing before! The worst period cramps I have ever felt in my life! I am a VERY modest person. I am the girl who goes into the bathroom at the gym to change. Well, I could have cared less who was in the room. I ripped off my gown because it felt horrible against my skin. After about three hours of this, I wanted the epidural, and I wanted it NOW! I HATE needles, so I couldn’t believe I was asking for the epidural. Once the anesthesiologist finished up, I thanked her and told her I loved her. In the moment, I really did. 
Well, the pain subsided, but the problems did not. By this time it was about 5 in the afternoon. I started getting sick. I felt dizzy and nauseous (probably from all the icky stuff they were pumping into me).  I was beyond hungry since I hadn’t eaten since the night before. I could have juice, but that was it. I was tired. My sister was awesome. She brought me magazines and just chatted with me. I took funny videos of her and Brian (I still have them, I sounded so drugged up!). We laughed a lot to pass time. My husband was amazing. He was attentive and loving. The nurses rocked. They promised me chocolate cake when Lillian came out. But I still felt awful. 
Throughout the night I developed a fever and another small infection. They kept giving me antibiotics. The next morning, Brian left to go shower and take a morning run. He had been cooped up at the hospital for over 24 hours and needed a well deserved break. The funny thing is, that is when things got a little crazy.  I finally dilated to a 9. I tried to push, but had no energy. I started to throw up. Lillian’s heart rate started dropping. Then she passed meconium. At that point, my sister was calling Brian and was like “get here, now”. We saw him pulling into the parking lot like a crazed new about-to-be Dad. Right as he walked in, about five different doctors and nurses walked in saying we needed to do a c-section, immediately. I was so out of it I didn’t care. Brian was a little anxious for sure, but he suited up and joined me in the surgical unit. 
It was like a whirlwind. All I remember is hearing her first little cry and seeing her being lifted out of me by one of the doctors. My heart swelled with love for her immediately and I was so filled with relief. I literally didn’t care about the surgery. The first moment I held her was phenomenal. I turned into a momma bear right away. 
…and I got my piece of chocolate cake! Although at that point I was more interested in cuddling with my baby than eating it.  🙂
Someone once told me that after you go through the pain of childbirth and see your child for the first time, you realize you would do it again in a heartbeat. 
It was true! 
Those days in the hospital are precious memories in my heart. I loved every minute while I was there. I am weird- I was actually sad to depart since so many memories were made there. I took pictures of the room, of her first little “bassinet”, of the white board… it was all so amazing. 
Previous Post Next Post

You may also like


  • Reply Alessandra Ferguson

    So true! I had to have a C-Section too, at the moment those words came out of the nurses mouth as a definite plan I didn’t even care. I was just ready to hold my baby boy and know he was okay. And it was all worth it. It definitely makes me consider what I will do with kid number two, but it’s all good. Didn’t go the way I wanted at all, but it didn’t matter to me!

    September 25, 2013 at 4:23 pm
  • Reply Sarah @ The Not Quite Military Wife

    Wow, such a beautiful story and Lillian is perfect! Congratulations!

    September 25, 2013 at 9:42 pm
  • Reply Callie Nicole

    Wow, sounds like a really long labor! I enjoyed reading your birth story, every one is so different! I totally agree, you just never know how birth is going to go – its definitely best to be flexible. 🙂

    September 25, 2013 at 10:23 pm
  • Reply Susannah

    What an amazing story! How wonderful that it all ended with a healthy momma and baby. Ultimately, that’s all that matters.

    September 25, 2013 at 10:33 pm
  • Reply Jessie Jo At Home

    Aww I love reading other women’s birth stories! I wish I would have put our daughter’s birth stories on my blog but now they are 3 and 9 months.. lol. Definitely agree with you though, I would go through all that pain again….. even without drugs or any pain meds what so ever! Those cuddly little babies are SO worth it! 🙂

    September 25, 2013 at 11:13 pm
  • Reply Hayley!

    Wow! You were one tough momma! I can’t imagine how exhausted your body was after all of that! Also, she has my birthday! I didn’t know our kiddos were so close! Eli was born 4/4/12!

    September 26, 2013 at 1:20 am
  • Leave a Reply